Turkey day is almost upon us, and after (or, really, on) that comes Black Friday. I’ve never really been one for Black Friday…I worked it once, back in my retail days, but apart from that I’ve never been out with the crowd. I certainly don’t mind taking advantage of a few online bargains, but shopping as a competitive sport has just never been my cup of tea. What totally is my cup of tea is shopping locally! And luckily enough, we have Small Business Saturday as a means of celebrating just that.
I wanted to share my favorite local places to shop, whether it’s during the shopping extravaganza of this weekend, at some other point during the holiday season, or just any old time. Start off your day with a hot beverage from one of our great local cafes (I’m partial to the Frosty at Anodyne, myself) and get shopping.
- Broadway Paper – Hands down one of the loveliest stores I’ve ever been in. I absolutely adore beautiful stationery and paper goods, so this is basically heaven.
- Sparrow Collective – This is the spot to get goods from all your favorite local makers when craft fair season is over.
- Hot Pop – Fun & funky mass-produced products, plus some stuff from local artists. One of the most colorful shops around.
- Boswell Book Company – If you’re anything like me, there are a lot of book worms on your list. You can still shop local!
- Antiques On Second – Three floors jam packed with awesome finds, plus an adorable old school freight elevator to transport you & your treasures.
- Tip Top Atomic Shop – Another spot for vintage finds, although this one is just a tad bit smaller. But totally rockabilly!
- Milwaukee Public Market – The grandaddy of them all, and still my go-to stop when I’m looking for something very “Milwaukee.”
What’s your favorite local store?