Why, what could that be…everyone in Milwaukee knows that on this day of the week, there can only be one answer!
It is, of course, carryout fish fry. Bonus points if it’s from somewhere local and not an actual restaurant – mine, for example, is from St. Augustine of Hippo, the church right up the street from me. Getting fish fry in a church basement is a quintessentially Wisconsin thing to do, and I highly recommend it.
In honor of my fish fry, this week’s list highlights some of my other favorite Wisconsin delicacies.
1. Cheese curds – whether squeaky fresh or deep-fried, nothing beats ’em
2. Bratwurst – I like ’em with just onions, but kraut is acceptable during special occasions (Germanfest). Best grilled by your dad OR purchased in a grocery store parking lot
3. Cranberries – cranberry anything. Juice, pie, sauce: if it’s tart and red, I am there.
4. Rhubarb – ditto above. A crumble made with rhubarb from your own backyard? Ohhhh yes.
5. Frozen custard – it is not the same as ice cream, philistines from other states who may be reading this. So rich, so creamy, so right. Speaking of…is Kopp’s open right now??